Sunday, July 1, 2012

A blast from the past, or how do you describe an EP?

"A what?" I hear you say with a politely perplexed tone of voice.

"An EP! There's more on them than on a single."

"Pardon?" you say as you scratch your head and wonder if you've missed some new whiz-bang electronic gizmo. "I have no idea what you're talking about." 

"It's what we used to listen to music on. EP stands for Extended Play. They're a bit like a USB...sort of. Or perhaps a better description is a portable music device, kind of like an iPod, but they only hold about 8-10 minutes of music...And you need a record player to listen to them on."


You can see how this is going to go. Parents living in the dark ages. The time of the dinosaurs. Blah, blah, blah. How did you survive etc. Gosh, singles and EP's were better than 78's! So portable! The freedom to play the music you wanted to hear when you wanted!!


We had some great music way back then. Just look at what I found in the boxes of mum's diaries that have been in the roof :-)  (I blogged about them more seriously here). Somehow these gems must have been tucked away amongst her diaries when we were packing the house. Whoohoo! 


Now, how to listen to them?



.


Still having formatting problems. Sigh.


.

4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sue .. I know here they can convert them to digital - but I guess you can buy the music anyway - unless you want the scratches and mouse droppings coming along as well!

Wonderful find amongst your mother's possessions ... I've had a 'post' about him in my head for a while since I discovered some information .. and he's in the British perspective with Usain Bolt and the Olympics ..

Find 'dem tunes and put 'em on full blast via your latest gizmo .. enjoy the essence they bring ..

Cheers Hilary

Sue said...

I might just leave them as they are Hilary, although I did remove all the droppings and bits of birds nest! I'm not sure how well the music will have survived the years - I suspect my tastes have changed quite a bit. I think 'mellowed' might be the word :)

Hope your weekend is going well,

cheers
Sue

Liza said...

Ah, yes. I remember leaving the "arm" out on the turntable so the record would play over and over again. Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, Joanie Mitchell...

Sue said...

Liza, your record player sounds very sophisticated! Ours didn't do that, although I remember a friend had one where you could stack the records, which seemed unbelievable at the time. Oh gosh, all those names - what lovely memories of great musicians.